Wednesday, January 19, 2011

“Why Would We Do an Evaluation, She Already Gets Services?”

As a parents’ special education attorney in Connecticut, I hear outrageous statements that parents are told by their school districts on an almost daily basis. But, sometimes, I am told something that passes the realm of outrageous, and crosses into ridiculous.








Such statements mislead or misrepresent the school’s legal obligations, and always in a way that benefits the school district.

After hearing so many of them, I decided to add a separate category to my blog just for this purpose, where I will post these ridiculous comments and explain why it likely violates IDEA. Hopefully, if you’ve heard similar things from your district, next time around you will know better!



Today’s Ridiculous Comment

Recently I attended an IEP meeting on behalf of a client who has been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder. The district had asked its Occupational Therapist (“OT”) to do an evaluation. When the OT reported her findings, the parents were disappointed, because it was quite clear to them (and me) that the evaluation was neither thorough nor accurate. My response was to ask for an IEE.

No comments:

Post a Comment