Wednesday, January 19, 2011

DON’T THROW AWAY ANYTHING!!!

Sometimes it’s difficult to know what to to be happy about as an attorney who represents children with disabilities.




As you can imagine, the facts that support a “really great special education case” are, by definition, at best unpleasant, and at worst horrific.

It’s an odd feeling, reviewing a child’s special education records. When I find procedural violations (sadly, this occurs more often than not), I get a little excited. Why? Because I know that these violations of IDEA have probably led to the very deprivation of appropriate special education programming which has brought the parents to my office. It gives me the ability to verify my client’s claims. More importantly, I know that clear violations of the IDEA will give me the leverage I need to convince the school district’s attorney that my client requires more, better, or different services.

No comments:

Post a Comment